Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Adios, HotShots


This is probably a little mean, even for me, but the other day I noticed that the HotShots "restaurant" near our office finally closed down. All I can say is good riddance. I know RoadRage liked them because they served RC fountain drinks, but other than that there wasn't a whole lot to recommend them.

This was a burger and hot dog place where the food was sub-par and the service was horrendous. Now, normally when you go to a place like that and order a hot dog you expect it to be ready in a minute or two. Maybe five minutes if it's really busy and there's a line out the door (a problem HotShots never had). But at HotShots, you pretty much had to grab a seat because it could take 10 to 15 minutes to get your hot dog and fries to you. I'm not exaggerating, either. What could possibly take 10 minutes to make a hot dog? You slap a dog in a bun, throw some mustard and veggies on it, and serve it up. But not there. All I can figure is they were too busy making crack in the back to be bothered with something as mundane as a hot dog.

Worse yet, when you'd finally get the hot dog it wasn't the greatest hot dog you'd ever eaten, thereby making it worth the wait. Instead, it was more like the 'dog you mom would boil, pull off the stove and stick in a cheap house brand bun.

No matter what you'd order it was the same result. I tried ordering the chicken once, figuring it would be the fastest. I mean, the chicken should already be ready, so it's just a matter of transferring it to a plate, right? No way. My compatriates were already eating their burgers and other sandwiches while I still waited for what I can only presume was for the egg to hatch and the chicken to be forceable matured on the spot.

Now, understand that all of this lousy service occurred when the only people in the place was me and 3-5 other people. Seriously! And it's not like there was a big walk-in trade either. When it comes to food I am not a patient man, and the last thing I want to do on my lunch hour is sit around waiting forever for my lunch to be made up so I can pick it up at the counter.

It was a shame. The place was within walking distance of my office. It could've been the greatest place ever, had it been any good at all. Instead, it was just a horrible experience the few times I went there.

So adios HotShots! While I feel bad for any small business that closes, I don't in this case. You sucked, and you got what you deserved.

2 comments:

Mum-Ra said...

I have not been there but I can offer a little incite.It is possible for a hot dog and fries to take that long at a non fast food place due to the fries not the dog especially if they have new oil in the fryer.Also chicken always takes the longest due to the temp it has to reach to be safe.Would you have preferred to get the chicken first then spend a night in the hospital?

Anonymous said...

Mum-Ra, that's a great thought. I would agree that fresh cooked would be worth the wait but what about that time I ordered a salad with nothing cooked included with it? Maybe they were triple washing the lettuce.

Ty, let us know what moves in next.

Merry Merry.