Sunday, June 13, 2010

Hey AT&T, thanks for Looking out for Me, I really appreciate it

Thank god for big companies like AT&T, which care more about common schmoes like RoadRage than they do about turning profits.

Last week, AT&T announced that it's eliminating the unlimited Internet data plans they use for cell phone customers to introduce new plans that would bill its customers based on how much data they use.

At first, RoadRage was skeptical of this announcement, fearing that AT&T was pulling a fast one on Joe Customer, so that it could charge people more money, but it turns out that I'm just naive.

You see, AT&T has given a thorough explanation of why they are introducing these new data plans. And, they don't want to charge me more money; they just want to give me more data for less money.

Now, instead of paying $30/month for unlimited data, I'll get to pay only $25 for two gigabytes of data -- basically the size of transferring one full length movie in standard definition.

Thank you AT&T! I would have had to pay a whole $5 more a month to watch as many live baseball games and movies on my phone as I wanted to every month. But now, I'll have to keep an eye on my data usage, so that I don't go over the allotted two gigabytes and be forced to pay $35 (or more) a month, thanks to your new data plans. I can see that you genuinely care for my financial well being.

If I'm not mistaken, the primary reason companies are in business is to make money, so why don't the jag bags over at AT&T just say that they are introducing these new plans to increase their profits, and not tell me they care about me, the poor customer, who's paying too much for unlimited data?

Even though I write negatively about people, I know that most of them are not stupid, and they realize that AT&T is just trying to line its pockets with more revenue. If you treat me like an idiot, I am more likely going to stop being a customer than if you start charging me more money. So just be straight with me.

And, now that AT&T has set a precedent on data usage, watch for cable to follow suit. Another humanitarian, Time Warner Chief Executive Glenn Britt, commented on the move saying, "Some people use less, so they should pay less." What a guy. Another top executive who wants me to save more money.

Now, if Britt and AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson can be so kind as to go fuck themselves, I'd greatly appreciate it.

RoadRage

No comments: