Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year Starts Early!

Stock market tanked again today, yet another expansion team is going to make it to the World Series before the Cubs and according to Senator John McCain, Ohio's Joe the Plumber is in a hell of a pickle over his small business.

But today, none of it matters because eggnog season officially kicked off! Woo-hoo!

I was out with my daughter tonight picking up some things from the grocery store. As I passed through the dairy section, I went to get some Lucerne chocolate milk (highly recommended), and right next to the chocolate milk was the most glorious sight I have seen since the Cubs' Derrek Lee miraculously got a hit with guys on base to beat the Brewers in extra innings in a late September game -- a half gallon bottle of EGGNOG! It is finally back from hibernation!

For those of you who have been reading this blog, you know that I am a marathon runner -- and the main reason I run is so that I am in good enough physical condition, so that I can thoroughly enjoy Eggnog season. The season usually starts the first or second week of November, so I'm glad I ran two races this year to prepare for the early start.

Since Eggnog is one of the worst things you can put in your body, in order to enjoy it to the level I like, I have to exercise five to six days a week 52 weeks a year. I have probably taken 8-10 years off my life with my eggnog fetish, but it's worth it.

I used to drink a quart of eggnog each day for lunch when I was younger. I can't do that anymore, unfortunately, but now I can enjoy eggnog ice cream (Oberweis is the best), eggnog cheesecake, eggnog pound cake, eggnog cup cakes -- and if I could afford it, I'd buy enough to take an eggnog bath, like David Letterman once did -- but alas, that will remain a pipe dream.

A lot of things suck right now, and as we enter the Christmas season this year, consumers will be struggling to buy gifts for their friends and families, and holding onto their homes for that matter. This Christmas season, as you try to cope with all of the stress, eggnog can serve as a great healer -- I encourage everyone who is feeling blue to reach for a big glass of non-alcoholic eggnog and enjoy the nectar of the gods!

RoadRage

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

ha ha ha you crack me up. :) I LOVE eggnog. And I've found the low-fat (I know... I know) version is actually VERY comparable. Try it out, might get to run a little less!