Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sorry Copper, This is Standing, Not Parking

I have all the respect in the world for the men in blue, but some of them are just jackasses.

The other night, I was at the grocery store waiting for my pregnant wife to come out, so I pulled up in the fire lane to wait for her -- just like everyone else in the world does -- especially if their wife is pregnant.

While I was waiting, a cop came up and asked me why I was parked in a fire lane -- I said that I wasn't parking -- I was standing. He became visibly angry and told me to move before he gave me a ticket.

There was, in fact, a sign that said no parking, but I wasn't parking -- under the terms of the law I was standing -- i.e. I was sitting in my car while it was running. There's clearly a difference between standing and parking--which is when you physically get out of the car. If there wasn't a difference, there wouldn't be signs that read "No Parking or Standing Any Time" -- they'd just read "No Parking Any Time."

While I wasn't given a ticket, the cop had no right to tell me to move or threaten me with a ticket for parking. That's like threatening to give me a ticket for jay walking while I'm driving down the street.

Aside from the fact that I wasn't parking, I have had friends who have been involved in accidents in store parking lots, and the cops who came to make the report said they couldn't issue a ticket because the accident happened on the store's property.

Which is it? These guys can't change the laws to fit their mood -- either you can give a ticket or you can't, and I'm guessing that when you are not breaking the law cops can't issue a ticket.

So, next time I'm trying to be nice to my wife, so that she doesn't have to walk farther than necessary, how about you go nab some crack head instead of busting my ass. And, while you're at it, why don't you familiarize yourself with the Illinois state law book, you dick head!

RoadRage

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah,RR,you miss the point. Issuing a ticket generates revenue with little paperwork. Filling out an accident report on the other hand, now that's work! Therein lies the difference between your out standing in the lot and someone getting their car dinged. As for being nice to your wife, let's get real, if you were nice, she wouldn't be in her current predicament...