Wednesday, October 22, 2008

This May Be the Suckiest World Series Ever

As fans of People Suck know, RoadRage is a huge baseball fan. In fact, I'm watching the World Series right now -- something I vowed not to do if the Tampa Bay Rays won the American League. But, I can't help it -- outside my family and complaining about people, it is my number one passion.

Although I'll probably end up watching a lot of the Series over the next week, I think this will be the suckiest Series ever.

Why? Both the Phillies and Rays are great teams, and I'm sure there will be plenty of offense and quality pitching as well. My problem with this Series is the fan base for both teams.

First, you have the Rays. They averaged around 22,000 fans this year, and that's up about 6,000 fans from last year. The Rays played great baseball all year, were in first place most of the time and every game they played meant something for their post season chances, yet they could only attract 22,000 fans a night? Contrast that with a team like the Cubs, who averaged nearly 40,000 fans in 2005 and 2006 for teams that were terrible. I'm tired of seeing fans like those who (sometimes) follow the Rays, Marlins and White Sox get rewarded with trips to the World Series.

Then, you have the Phillie fans. These guys would boo Mother Teresa if given the opportunity. They're great fans when their team is winning, but if the team is losing, their merciless -- ripping on the guys who don't deserve a uniform, and treating some of the greatest stars in the game the same way. And, this isn't a new phenomenon. I have been watching the Phillies for years, and I remember them booing Michael Jack Schmidt, after he had hit more than 500 homers and played 17 years in Philadelphia, winning two MVP awards along the way and helping bring home the city's only World Series championship (to this point). How can you boo a guy like that? On top of that, they have been known to throw batteries at opposing players (J.D. Drew), and being all-around pricks.

So, while I will probably enjoy this year's World Series, I'd like to throw out a "You Suck!" to the Phillies and Rays fans, who don't deserve the Series.

Signed,

Jaded Cubs Fan -- a.k.a. RoadRage

No comments: