Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Not responsible for punching you in the face

I was at my gym today and noticed a sign in the locker room that said the company is "not responsible for lost or stolen property."

How is that possible? There are locks on every locker, which means that the only people who can get into my locker are those who have lock cutters.

Now, I have never seen anyone enter our gym with a pair of lock cutters, but I'm guessing that they would be stopped before entering the locker room, so that means management would be the only people who could actually steal anything. So, in my mind, that makes them responsible.

I wonder what would happen if anything was stolen. Would the gym actually be held responsible? I know that if a kid was playing in the tree in my front yard while I wasn't home and fell to the ground, that I would be liable -- so if I hang up a sign that says "not responsible for your dumbass kids falling out of my tree," am I off the hook?

And, if that works, you can start wearing signs that remove responsibility for everything you do.

-- When your kid goes to court for drug use - "Not responsible for my kid's stupidity."
-- When you cheat on your wife or husband -- "Not responsible for being horny."
-- When you run a forklift into a shelving unit at work - "Not responsible for being drunk at work"
-- When you voted for Bush -- "Not responsible for President's dumbitivity."

Maybe those gym managers are on to something.

1 comment:

ladygray said...

Forklift? That rings a bell. Oh, Not responsible for friends who think I can drive a forklift. You know who you are, Chris.

Kidding aside..great post.