Thursday, September 11, 2008

Jim Ignatowski Has Nothing on Real NY Cabbies

Remember Jim Ignatowski -- the lovable cabbie on the hit 1980s series Taxi? Christopher Lloyd played "Iggy" played the man who had the IQ of a rabbit; but the faith of a child ... simple.

My favorite scene with Iggy was when he was taking the written portion of his driving test and he asked his colleague Bobby what a yellow light means. Bobby says, "slow down" -- so Iggy asks again, but slows down his speech. This was repeated three or four more times -- good stuff!

He was a real idiot in the show, but likable. Unfortunately, you can't say the same for real New York cabbies -- they're much dumber, and definitely less likable.

I've been in NY twice this year, and almost every time I have taken a cab I have used my credit card. The machines are set up in the back seat, and it's real easy to use -- a great convenience for passengers. The problem is that every time you use the machine, the cabbie acts like you've just shot him through the chest; that it's such a terrible inconvenience it's going to ruin their whole day, even though it's the easiest way to pay.

The first cab I took this week, I asked the cabbie if he took credit cards, and he said yes -- with the obligatory whining that comes with it. So, I get in the cab and start my ride, at which point he tells me he just installed his credit card system that morning, and I'll be the first to use it (yeah, I win!). We get to the hotel I'm staying at and it turns out his machine actually works (eureka!), at which point he tells me I'm lucky.

Why am I the lucky one? He said I could pay by credit card before I entered the cab, so if it didn't work, that's tough shit for him, not me.

Bottom line, if you are going to offer the service, don't bitch when people decide to use it.

New York cabbies, you suck!

RoadRage

1 comment:

Don Snakini said...

Cab drivers don't decide whether to offer the service or not, it's enforced by the TLC. Passengers that pay with credit cards often swipe cancelled or maxed out cards and when they are denied, drop the "I don't have cash" excuse and get a free ride. Credit card fares also take quite a while to register in the system, so it could mean the difference between an impoverished cabbie walking home with 30 dollars to take to his family or missing his quota and paying out of his pocket. On top of all that, the credit card companies take five percent of the fares, but I wouldn't expect a *stupid* prissy silver spoon sucking jet-setting hipster like you to understand something like that.


You suck.