Thursday, August 7, 2008

Get Off Your High Horse and Pick Up Your Crap!

I'm an avid runner, so I spend a lot of time in forest preserves. Along the running trails, you frequently see signs telling people to pick up after their pets. So, why do horse owners feel this doesn't apply to them?

I pass people walking their dogs all the time, and they always either have pooper scoopers or bags to pick up for their pets after they are done doing their business.

And as I pass these dog owners while they dispose of the half pound of crap their dogs release, I have to keep my eyes on the trail, because chances are that I'm going to run into a 20-lb dump left behind by one of the horses taken out for a quick trot.

I used to think that maybe the rule didn't apply to horse owners, because maybe the manure was picked up by the forest ranger, or someone with the forest who uses it as fertilizer. But, that's not the case. Sometimes, the same pile of feces is left behind from the time I start running in April, until it's done decomposing in the middle of summer.

And, now, I'm left thinking that the only reason that the "pick up after your pets" rule might not apply to horse owners is because their rich. Why should they have to bother getting off their horse to clean up after themselves? I'll tell you why, you frickin' rich bastard...because after finishing the first 15 miles of a 17-mile run, I don't want to have to serpentine like I'm dodging bombs in a minefield, you pompous ass!

RoadRage

No comments: