Thursday, August 28, 2008

Got Leash? Then Use It, Dickweed!

I love dogs. Always have and probably always will. As a responsible dog owner, when my dog is outside with me, he is on a leash. Even if he were trained enough to walk with me without a leash, there is no way I would go leash-free in the city.

So why is it that so many dog owners out there have to prove how well behaved their dogs are by walking them in the city without leashes and letting them roam the parks free of any sustainment? The law says you have to keep your dog on a leash. The lakefront park where we regularly walk our dogs just last week had signs posted all over about people walking their dogs in the park without a leash.

The lesson learned? None.

Last night I was walking my dog through the park to check out the lake and there they were—packs of dogs running free. One of the dogs, seeing my dog with me, took off from his owner and approached my dog, which led to that dog jumping my dog. If the owner had not run over and interceded, it could have been ugly, but it should not have happened in the first place, and most likely it will happen again.

I understand that dogs are dogs. Some just don’t get along with each other. So rather than treating them like people, dog owners need to remember THESE ARE DOGS!!!! They have no impulse control, no reasoning abilities, no worries about getting into a fight.

This is where we as upright walking mammals with opposable thumbs and voting power need to be responsible and walk our dogs on leashes. It’s not like you don’t have or can’t afford one, because you are always holding it in your hand. You’ve just forgotten that vital step of clasping it to the collar.

All it takes is an opposable thumb.

Hm? Hm? Alright!

Judge Elihu M. Smails

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're probably the kind of guy who takes pictures of yourself at Halloween with your dogs in costumes. Am I right? Hmm? Hmm?