Saturday, June 21, 2008

Don't worry Jerry, I don't want to come to your craphole!

In response to Judge Smails' post expressing his dislike of White Sox fans, I have to say that I don't completely agree with you.

I respect a lot of the true White Sox fans -- those who actually support the team when they are more than three games out of first place, and the very few who buy fitted hats showing their financial support for the Sox, instead of wearing the adjustable "official" White Sox hat with the Pepsi logo on the back.

While I am a die-hard Cubs fan, I used to be a big White Sox fan, too. I cheered for Julio Cruz, Tony Bernazard, Ron Kittle, The Bull, and the others who made Winning Ugly an art form in 1983.

I also enjoyed watching the young team in 1990 as Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura, Jack McDowell, Bobby Thigpen and their crew gave the Oakland A's a run for their money in the old West Division. In fact, I went to the last night game at Old Comiskey and saw the best fireworks show I have ever seen.

My problem started with interleague play in 1997. You'll recall the first two years of interleague play that the Cubs and Sox only played one series each year. In 1997, the Sox played host. I was anxious to see the Cubs finally play the Sox in games that actually counted. The 13 years prior to interleague play, the Cubs and Sox played one game against each other a year in the Crosstown Classic. I think the White Sox won 11 of the 13, and it was basically because they left their starters in most of the game, while the Cubs pulled theirs after one at-bat.

For the first Cubs-Sox series, I was ready to buy tickets to go, and was planning to buy tickets. Unfortunately, Jerry Reinsdorf forced fans to buy tickets to nine other games to have the privilege to attend one Cubs-Sox game. Obviously, this would deter Cubs fans from buying tickets, but less obvious to Jerry, it would force White Sox fans to do the same -- something they weren't apt to do.

When asked why he was requiring fans to buy tickets to nine games, Reinsdorf simply said, "I don't want Cubs fans in Cellular park."

Well, Jerry, your wish came true. I used to go to Sox games all the time, but since his stupid comment, I have only been back to Cellular field for required work functions, and when a friend asked me to go with him -- the ticket was already paid for, as was parking, and I had my son eat before the game, so we didn't have to spend a dime. And, I refuse to financially support the Sox until Reinsdorf sells the team.

People like Reinsdorf are what makes baseball suck. Rather than welcome fans from all walks of life to help fill his park, Jerry rather keep it cozy for the few Sox fans who fill the park, and storm the field to attack umpires from time-to-time.

1 comment:

Judge Smails said...

RoadRage, you ignorant slut. I did not say I hate all White Sox fans. In fact, one of my best friends is a White Sox fans.

I hate south suburban White Sox fans. Big difference. They are the ones who don't support their team until they are in the World Series, don't go to games because they won't support a third-place team and didn't even show up in the 2005 season until August.

I, too, followed the Sox as a kid and probably would have supported them, had it not been for the "you're with us or you're against us" gunk that started in the 1980s, when people from the south side first started defecting in droves to the north side, because the atmosphere and culture were better there. A lot happens to a man when the environment within a two-block radius of his barstool changes. So why change? Just stay the same and remain bitter about having to travail time and time again down Southwest Highway like pissed-off gypsies who refused to stay on their land rather than move.

Alright!